We're recruiting Miami University students and High School students from across Butler County for our 2019-2020 academic year site-based mentoring programs. This page contains information about volunteer opportunities and how to apply.
Miami University Students
We're recruiting Miami University students from all campuses (Oxford, Hamilton, Middletown, and West Chester) to be volunteer mentors ("Bigs") in elementary schools and community centers. Bigs work 1:1 with elementary school students, helping them to work toward their goals and empowering their potential.
What's the time commitment?
Bigs must be able to commit to the entire academic year. There are 4 options for Miami-Oxford students to volunteer as a Big in our Site-Based Mentoring Programs at elementary schools in Oxford, depending on your schedule and transportation ability:
- Mondays from 4 to 5:30 PM: for Miami students who can drive
- Mondays from 4 to 5:30 PM: for Miami students who cannot drive (walking distance from campus)
- Thursdays from 4 to 5:30 PM: for Miami students who can drive
- Thursdays from 4 to 5:30 PM: for Miami students who cannot drive (walking distance from campus)
For Miami Regionals students and Miami-Oxford students who can drive, there are additional options outside of Oxford in elementary schools in Hamilton, Trenton, Fairfield, Middletown, and West Chester. These include:
- Mondays: 3:45 to 5:15 PM in Middletown
- Tuesdays: 3:30 to 5 PM in Trenton; or 4:00 to 5:30 PM in Hamilton
- Wednesdays: "Lunch Buddies" program at Madison Elementary (West Middletown), 11:30 AM to 1 PM (specific times vary)
- Wednesdays: 3 to 4:30 PM in West Chester; or 3:15 to 4:45 PM in Fairfield; or 5:15 to 6:30 PM in Hamilton
- Thursdays: 3:15 to 4:45 in Fairfield; or 3:30 to 5 PM in Hamilton; or 4 to 5:30 PM in Hamilton
How do I learn more or sign up?
Miami-Oxford students can apply online, and then attend a 30-minute information session on September 4, 2019 at 3 PM or 5 PM, or September 9, 2019 at 3 PM or 5 PM. Attendance at an information session will expedite the enrollment process. If you cannot attend an information session, click here to schedule a phone call with our Engagement Specialist.
Miami-Regionals students can click here to apply online, after which a BBBS staff member will contact you to begin the enrollment process.
High School Students
Students 14 years old and older may volunteer as a mentor in our participating elementary schools. Student mentors ("Bigs") are matched with an elementary school student and they meet with that student 1:1 once per week after school to work on academic goals and to spend quality time together. This is a great opportunity for high school students who are interested in gaining valuable volunteer experience in a nationally-recognized and evidence-based mentoring program.
What is the time commitment and where can I volunteer?
High School Bigs must be able to commit to the entire academic year. They also must have access to reliable transportation to/from the elementary school - either the Big drives themselves, or a parent/guardian or friend provides transportation for them.
Below are listed the options that High School Bigs can choose from, depending on the school district in which they live and the days/times that programs are scheduled:
- Talawanda: Mondays 4 to 5:30 PM
- Hamilton: Tuesdays 4 to 5:30 PM; or Wednesdays 5:15 to 6:30 PM; or Thursdays 3:30 to 5 PM; or Thursdays 4 to 5:30 PM
- Madison: Wednesdays 11 AM to 1 PM - *this is a "lunch buddies" program, to occur during your lunchtime*
- Fairfield: Wednesdays 3:15 to 4:45 PM; or Thursdays 3:15 to 4:45 PM
- Edgewood: Tuesdays 3:30 to 5 PM
- Middletown: Mondays 3:45 to 5:15 PM
- Lakota: Wednesdays 3 to 4:30 PM
How do I learn more or sign up?
Contact Katy Roberts, Engagement Specialist in any of the following ways:
Text "HS Big" to 513-857-1491
Schedule a phone call with Katy by clicking here.